Thursday, November 8, 2012
7 Quick Takes: Thursday Edition
I know, I KNOW - it's Thursday. But I have visitors tomorrow, and I know you miss me.
So here are my 7 Quick Takes for the week:
1. Can I say nothing about this election? I am now living in Ohio, state of the undecided. I was amazed at how many college students showed up to the polls - back in my day (by crackey) we exers just didn't feel like it mattered. Heck, in NJ it practically doesn't. Without getting into the "who"s and "why"s of it all, let me just say I cast the best vote I could to protect the voiceless and keep America free.
But here's a much better thought out commentary on the good, the bad, and the ugly- and why politics shouldn't be allowed to divide people of faith: by Dr. Jana Bennett, who is a moral theologian at UD, where I am at school.
2. Apparently I missed the memo that today is National Stout Day. While this is a Friday quick takes, I still think this celebration counts! So, remember:
3. My home state of NJ got slammed last week by Superstorm Sandy. My heart has been breaking over the photos of the devastation left in storm's wake. Most of the people I know finally have electricity and heat, thanks be to God - some went over a week without it, in a very cold month. Many still are waiting on incomprehensible lines for gas, though finally that seems to be easing up as well. My heart and prayers are with all my fellow Jerseyans - I know you are kind and strong. Hang in there!
4.I managed to get the guts of a paper written on Monday, because I didn't want to have to work while my family is here this weekend. It's amazing how much one can spew onto "paper" when on a deadline. 25 pages. Next Monday I will be doing a LOT of editing.
5. I finally sat down and watched the entirety of Tree of Life. I don't know what I think. I mean, I was very aware that the mom has only four lines in the entire movie, and that the males do "all" the in person talking. I was aware that "mom" has some really intense narrative soliloquies. And I was very, very aware of the water. So. Much. Water. My mind is busting with the imagery... and I am glad I wasn't at a movie theater with a 44 oz. Diet Coke or I might have missed good chunks of the film.
But if you have seen the movie, and you can explain to me what the heck Sean Penn's role is in the film, I would be very grateful.
6. In other viewing news, Mike and I now have to take the "new" Doctor Who series marathon much more slowly, because the poor guy was starting to have nightmares. Shame on you, David Tennant.
7. In final news.... as a pro-woman woman myself, I am always amazed and joyous when a female steps right in and does something only guys have done in the past, and does it even better. It just goes to show that God gives us all amazing gifts and opportunities, and we are the ones who limit ourselves.
You owe it to yourself to check out this AWESOME football player, Sam, age 8. (I keep thinking of Ramona Quimby, age 8, but this is way more awesome!)
That's all for now, folks. Please, please drop me a note with your thoughts, comments, etc, etc, etc.